Facility Name: The Hotchkiss School
Facility Location: 11 Interlaken Road, Lakeville, CT 06039
Position / Title: Supervisor of Grounds
This position performs administrative and supervisory duties in planning and directing the grounds maintenance staff and upkeep of all school property, roadways, athletic fields, core campus, golf course and wooded areas comprised of 540 campus acreage, as well coordinating maintenance needs for the ice rinks for Hotchkiss School, and general maintenance needs of Fairfield Farm (287 acres). Grounds also supports all facility event needs, which include graduation, alumni weekend, summer concerts, and other community events open to the public, as well as other school events erecting tents or overseeing outside vendor support.
● High school graduate required; College Degree Preferred
● At least five (5) years prior relevant work experience in supervisory capacity with proven capacity to lead.
● A current driver’s license
● A current Connecticut Supervisory Pesticide License, and the ability to maintain certification completing required continuing education credits for renewal.
● Possess the essential rapport and strong ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors, as well as the general campus population.
● Extensive knowledge of methods, tools and practices used in grounds maintenance activities.
● Extensive knowledge of methods, tools and practices used in Golf Course maintenance, and turf management.
● Strong ability to recognize occupational hazards and take appropriate safety precautions.
● Strong ability to direct, instruct, schedule and supervise the work of grounds employees.
● Strong ability to use and maintain a variety of hand tools, power tools, and other related equipment.
● Strong ability to communicate effectively.
● Requires strong organizational capabilities and self-directedness in executing essential responsibilities.
● Computer proficiency to effectively manage department budgeting, ordering, communication, scheduling, and personnel matters.
Located in the scenic Berkshire-Taconic landscape in the quiet northwest corner of Connecticut, The Hotchkiss School is a community in which faculty and staff members build careers and grow as professionals. We seek to identify, recruit, and develop faculty and staff members who bring a diversity of experiences, perspectives, talents, and backgrounds. Collectively, we are dedicated to supporting the intellectual, social, and emotional growth of 600 students who come from around the country and the world. In the 2020-2021 school year, 38 percent of Hotchkiss students are U.S. students of color, 13 percent are international, and 95 percent of students are boarders from 27 countries and 36 states in the U.S. The School is eager to accept applications from individuals who are excited to support an inclusive and warm learning community for students from a wide array of backgrounds and experiences.
As a working manager, this position will perform all related tasks as required and will include indoor as well as outdoor work. This position requires effective team management, assigning daily responsibilities as well as anticipating, maintaining and effectively executing scheduled work supporting a variety of school programming, maintaining safety considerations at all times.
Critical to this position is the demonstration of effective managerial proficiency, supporting positive employee relations and positive service communications with all school constituents. An expanded scope of technical proficiency is necessary to support staff training and the supervision of turf management for both athletic fields and specialized resource needs of the golf course.
As a supervisor within the facilities department, this position requires the projection of a positive and professional image as a representative of the School, demonstrating attention to detail, effective time management for self and others, and a strong work ethic for their department employees to emulate. The position is accountable for quality job performance and for effective participation and support of the best interests of The Hotchkiss School.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Maintain campus to standards established for The Hotchkiss School; seek ways to improve current standards.
● Supervise, maintain, and evaluate required standards communicating expectations to personnel assigned to the Grounds Department in Facilities.
● Determine resource needs, anticipating short and long-term planning for all maintenance equipment in conjunction with Director of Facilities and budget approval.
● Supervise all maintenance and resource needs on the Golf Course including those identified by the Golf Pro.
● Supervise effective execution of scheduled and routine projects.
● Perform routine checks and inspections to insure quality of work supported by the Grounds Department
● Monitor expense and supervise outside contractors performing work on campus grounds.
● Assist in the development, review, and evaluation of procedures and policies for the Grounds Department.
● Sit as a member of pertinent committees. CC&E, CD&SC, Woods, Arboretum, and Safety.
● Participate and provide leadership in the development of short and long-term goals and objectives for assigned areas of responsibility.
● Comply with and maintain all required recordkeeping for the grounds department, following applicable local, state, and federal regulatory authority. Cooperate with and coordinate relevant agency visits and inspections, notlimited to (DEEP, EPA, & OSHA, etc).
● Make recommendations as to personnel requirements of the grounds in the Facilities Department.
● Instruct personnel in the proper and safe utilization of tools and equipment.
● Cross train employees to insure depth of coverage, essential to all phases of grounds maintenance.
● Perform annual goal setting and written performance evaluations for department personnel, including managing corrective action in disciplinary matters.
● Develop and conduct effective training programs/sessions for assigned areas of responsibility all for Grounds personnel.
● Actively foster cooperation and teamwork, supporting individual and collective initiative.
Other Responsibilities Include:
● Coordinate and supervise all tree work on campus as well as Arboretum mapping and tagging.
● Oversee all memorials and plantings on campus.
● Assure that grounds equipment is maintained and ready for use.
● Supervise and maintain the Schools fuel management system.
● Recommend and oversee the installation and operation of irrigation projects and systems.
● Supervise the composting of campus organic waste and coordinate the transportation of Schools food waste for composting.
● Coordinate the operation of the School’s trash and metal dumpsters.
● Create and maintain the Campus wildflower meadows.
● Supervise all set-ups for outdoor special school events. Designated as lead person for Graduation and Reunion events.
● Additional duties and responsibilities as needed and assigned.
Special Skills: See above – CT Supervisory Pesticide License/Certification
Compensation / Benefits:
This is an exempt staff position working on a calendar year basis within the Facilities Department of Hotchkiss School. It does not provide housing. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and education level. Hotchkiss provides a comprehensive benefit package, which includes a variety of health insurance offerings, dental, vision, life, and short- and long-term disability offerings, HSA/FSA options, and retirement benefits through TIAA.
Education Level Required: College Preferred, Relevant Work Experience Essential
Date Position Available: June 4, 2021
Application Deadline: May 1, 2021
Apply To: Go to or click on:
How to Apply: Electronically through our careers page above. Interested candidates may contact HROffice@Hotchkiss.org for support with navigating application process. Or contact Wendy MacKenzie, Associate Director of Human Resources at email@example.com; Phone (860)435-3876)
Date Posted: April /1/2021
© 2020 • ALL RIGHTS RESERVED • GCSANE